more + 공지사항
outdoorlife canada 클럽 회원님 및 방문자님들께 2017-05-11

outdoorlife canada 클럽 회원님 및 방문자님들께

 

yesican입니다 참으로 오랫만에 방문해보니 그동안 함께 활동하였던 회원님들과의 즐겁고 행복했던 시간이 아쉬움과 함께 추억으로 남아 있습니다. 어떤 인연으로 그렇게 함께 즐거웠던 시간을 보낼 수 있었는지 감사하게 생각합니다. 만남과 헤어짐은 정해진 순리이지만 함께 하였던 순간들은 영원히 잊혀지지 않을 것입니다 저를 비롯하여 회원님들이 각자의 바쁜생활로 예전처럼 활동 하지 못하지만 항상 마음속에 소중하게 담겨져 있습니다

커뮤니티 소개 ( 오늘 방문자 수: 23,  총 방문자 수: 34,001 )
OUTDOOR LIFE CANADA..........카나다에서 여행과 자연활동에 관한 나눔의 장입니다.
가 볼만한 곳, 갔다 온 곳, 새로운 곳 또는 모르는 곳...
어디든지 소개하고 같이 공유하는 여러분들의 공간입니다.
B
▣ 등대-Ontario Lighthouse ( 전체 게시글 수: 5 )
yesican
3548
Port Burwell Lighthouselightkeeper 2005-02-26
첨부 파일:  
Lake Erie를 접한 Port Burwell은 401 west의 Ingersol에서
19번을 따라 남쪽 끝에 위치하며 바로 옆에 Port Burwell
Provincial Park가 있다
아주 조그만 타운이고 1840년에 만든 목조건물로 된 등대는
안으로 들어가 올라가볼 수 있다








The lighthouse was erected by the government in 1840, making it the oldest
lighthouse on the north shore of Lake Erie and one of the oldest wooden lighthouses in Canada.
The lighthouse is 17 metres high.
The structure is a simple classic eight-sided design.
Large Douglas fir and pine timbers rise the full height to form the framework.
The exterior is lapstrake siding.
There is a wooden interior staircase to the lantern room.
The original Fresnel lens, manufactured in France, is still in place.
The light was fueled by a whale oil lamp and later, kerosene was used
until it was eventually replaced by electricity.
Thomas Bellairs was the first lighthouse keeper. However, in 1852,
Alexander Sutherland became lightkeeper for 21 years.
He began a family tradition of lighthouse keepers in Port Burwell that was to
continue for 100 years.
Three of Alexander's sons and two grandsons followed in his footsteps, one
succeeding the other until 1952.
At this time, Jack Hayward took over for 3 years while John Sutherland
was in the army. John came back as lightkeeper until the lighthouse was
put out of official service in 1963.
The Port Burwell light was the only marker on Lake Erie west of Long Point.
It was extremely vital to the many ships moving along the lake for finding a safe
harbour from the fierce Lake Erie storms.
In 1986, area Mennonite craftsmen were commissioned to refurbish the
lighthouse working with similar 19th century hand tools originally used in its construction.
However, much of the original post and beam construction joined by wooden
pegs remains in place.
While no longer an "official light", the light is kept burning behind the
original lens in recognition of its historical importance to early shipping along the north shore.
Now under the ownership of the amalgamated Municipality of Bayham, it is tenderly
cared for by the Port Burwell Historical Society.
During the tourist season, visitors can climb the 55 steps to the top of
the lighthouse for a panoramic view of the harbour and lake.

Hours of Operation
Open Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day
Tuesday - Sunday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Mondays unless a holiday Monday,
then closed Tuesdays
July and August: open 7 days a week!

38467
yesican
3548
Point Clark Lighthouselightkeeper 2005-02-26
첨부 파일:  
Lake Huron을 바라보는 등대로 Gogerich 와 Kincardine
사이에 위치하고 있는 Limestone으로 지어진 140년 된 등대이고
lightkeeper house를 museum으로 바꿔 운영되고 있다.
Lake Huron으로 지는 해를 바라보는 석양은 아름다운 자태 바로 그것이다
kitchener를 지나 86번 서쪽 끝까지 가면 point clark이다





While driving down from Manitoulin to Sarnia along the
eastern shore of Lake Huron, I detoured a mile or so off
the main road (Hwy. 21) between Kincardine and Goderich
to visit the Point Clark Lighthouse.
The shoreline makes a small hook into the lake at Point Clark,
creating a large shoal that extends for almost a mile offshore.

The light and the lightkeeper's house are in very good condition,
especially considering that they are over 140 years old.
Six of these Imperial Lights were built on Lake Huron.
Construction was begun in 1855 and finished in 1859.
The tower is built from limestone quarried a few miles north at Inverhuron.
At the base of the tower, the walls are six feet thick, and they
taper as the tower rises over 87 feet.
[The navigation chart lists the light height as 93 feet.]
A domed roof and 12-sided cast iron lantern top the structure.
At each facet, a bronze lion head at the eaves directs rainwater away.

Because the winter weather along the eastern shore can be severe,
a tunnel was dug from the light to the lightkeeper's house, even though it is just a few feet away.
This permitted the lightkeeper to tend to his duties without having to venture outside in storms.
The original light was oil-fired and had to be refueled often.
The lightkeeper would climb to the top, then use a rope and pulley to
raise a bucket of oil from the main oil resevoir at the base.
The stain of the oil and its smell remain to this day.
The original light and lens were removed when the light was
electrified and automated, but the museum society is trying to have
them returned to the site.
For a modest fee, you can climb to the top in the company of a tour guide.
Some of the original staircase remains, but portions of it have been
replaced with newer contruction to enhance the safety of the climb.

The lightkeeper's house has been converted to a museum,
while retaining many of its original decorations and furniture.
The light was tended by a number of men and their families,
some staying for many, many years.
The last lightkeeper was retired in the 1960's.

The Township of Huron operates the museum; the light is now part of Parks Canada.
The site is open from late June to Labour Day, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. It is
also open for groups by reservation in May and June. For more information call:
519/395-2494 during open hours
519/395-3725 for group reservations

38466
yesican
3548
Cabot Head Lighthouselightkeeper 2005-02-08
첨부 파일:  


Cabot Head Lighthouse는 100년의 역사를 가진 높이 80 ft 의
목조등대로 Georgian Bay를 안내하며 Dyers Bay부터 등대까지의
Georgian Bay 의 맑은 물가를 Niagara Escarpment 절벽 아래로
가는 비포장도로는 온타리오에서 손꼽는 Scenic Drive Course이다
탐험가 John Cabot의 이름을 따서 이름을 지었고 Wingfield Basin
nature reserve 지역 안에 있다
Tobermoryf를 갈 경우 꼭 들려보기를 권한다
5월부터 Thanksgiving Weekend까지 Open 하며 등대 꼭대기까지
올라갈수 있고 그때의 도구 시설들이 잘 전시돼 있다









Perched 80 feet above Georgian Bay, the Cabot Head
Lighthouse has guided ships for over 100 years.
Named in honour of famous explorer, John Cabot,
this site offers spectacular views of the Niagara
Escarpment and Georgian Bay.
In 1968, the original tower was demolished and replaced
with an automated light.
Fifteen years later, the Friends of Cabot Head completely
restored the lightstation.
Visitors are now encouraged to visit the lighthouse museum
and walk the interpretive trails.
Cabot Head Lighthouse, built later than most of the
others in Ontario's Natural Retreat, is a wooden
dwelling with an attached 49' square wood tower
rising from one corner.
Its original light, operational in 1896, could be seen
for 16 miles from its perch about 80' above water level.
The area was named in honour of explorer John Cabot.

Situated on a cliff 1/3 mile east of Wingfield Basin
(a nature reserve) in Georgian Bay, the lighthouse was
constructed by John George of Port Elgin and
Richard Webb of Southampton.

The running of the lighthouse was a two-man operation.
Before mechanization, the keepers kept up the air pressure
for the fog horn by using a bicycle pump, while a weight
system worked the rotation of the light with the weights
being cranked up manually.
The keepers worked 6-8 hour watches around-the-clock
to keep the coal-oil light burning.

In the early years, the keeper and his family arrived for
their seasonal duty by boat.
Later, a wagon trail was cut through the bush north of Gillies Lake
and they arrived via this route.

The first square wooden tower was torn down in 1971
and replaced with an automated signal beacon
atop a steel tower.
The foghorn station was replaced with unmanned equipment
during the same time period. In 1987, the lighthouse
was unmanned and fell into disrepair.

Enjoy the incredible drive along the shore road amidst
the boulder beaches and cliffs of the escarpment.
Spend a day or a week in the beautiful Dyers Bay region:
Hike the Bruce Trail south to the Devils Monument.
Enjoy the International Cuisine of the Rocky Raccoon Cafe.
Experience the infamous Larkwhistle Gardens.
Spend the night at one of the area’s unique B&B’s.



The Lightstation is open 7 days a week from Victoria
Day Weekend to Thanksgiving from 10 AM to 7 PM.
Admission by donation.

http://www.cabothead.ca/
36729
yesican
3548
The Cobourg East Pierhead Light yesican 2005-02-07
첨부 파일:  
The Cobourg East Pierhead Light



등대라고 생각하기에는 작지만
Cobourg은 낚시로 자주 간 곳이기에 소개한다

The town of Cobourg sits on Lake Ontario between Toronto and Kingston.
The Cobourg East Pierhead Light marks the entrance to the Cobourg Marina.
The squat cement tower is similar to the pierhead light at Burlington.
A shorter green and white cylindrical modern tower marks
the west pierhead, and a red and white tower marks the inner marina.

Directions: From Toronto, travel east on Highway 401 to exit 474.
Travel 3 miles on County Road (Division St.) to the end.
The lighthouse is at the end of the pier.



36609
yesican
3548
Gibraltar Point Lighthouseyesican 2005-02-07
첨부 파일:  
Gibraltar Point Lighthouse


Toronrto Harbour를 안내하는 등대로 Toronto Island에 있다
Toronto Island는 섬안에 파크와 놀이시설이 있는Centre Island로
Harbour Front에서 페리를 타고 건너가야한다
이 등대는 150년이나 된 오래된 역사를 지니고 있지만
아주 흥미 있는 미스테리가 전해지고 있다
처음 등대지기였던 Radan Muller(1809-1815) 의 의문스러 운
죽음이 바로 그것이다
두가지의 의문점을 남기고 있는데
하나는 어떻게 죽었는가?
그리고 또 하나는 누가 죽였는가?이다.
상황적인 증거로 두 불량배가 술을 요구하다 거절 당하자
살해하고 암매장 하였다고 하나 결정적인 증거가 없었다고 한다
1815년 누군가에 의해 잔혹하게 죽임을 당한 그의 유골은
78년 후인 1893년 등대지기인 Joe Durnan(1853-1908 )에 의해
발견되는데 등대지기 집에서 150m 떨어진곳 1m 깊이에 묻혀
있었는데 Radan Muller의 유령이 양팔이 잘린채 나타나서
그곳으로 안내 했다고 한다.
믿거나 말거나…





Hours:
The lighthouse is not open to the public, however the grounds are.
The Toronto Island Ferry offers public service to the Toronto Islands,
including Hanlan's Point, except during the winter season when
a limited schedule is in effect.
For more information, call 392- 8193



Brief history

The Island Lighthouse is the oldest landmark in Toronto.
From its site on Gibraltar Point,
it has watched most of Toronto's history unfold; its light beam has, for more than 150 years,
been a welcome guide for the mariner into the Harbour of Toronto.

At a very early date, it was realized that a lighthouse on the peninsula (now Toronto Island)
was essential to the safety of the vessels sailing Lake Ontario.
In March, 1803, the following Act was passed: Section 7 - "and whereas
it will be necessary and essential to the safety of vessels, boats, rafts and other craft
passing from Lake Ontario into the River Niagara and passing by the island called Isle
Forest and likewise into the port of York that there should be a lighthouse
erected near each of the said last mentioned places....
One to be erected and build upon the.... and the other upon Gibraltar Point."

There appears to be no direct evidence of the actual date when the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse
was started but in 1808 the Upper Canada Gazette printed the following: "It is a pleasure to inform the public
that the dangers to vessels navigating Lake Ontario will in a great measure be avoided
by the erection of a lighthouse on Gibraltar Point which is to be completed
in compliance with an address in the House of Assembly to the Lieutenant Governor."
The address referred to above was dated March 9, 1808, and on April 6th the
Lieutenant Governor visited the peninsula and chose a site for the lighthouse.

The original structure was 16m high including a lantern and built of Queenstown stone.
The building and its base, which is packed with stone to keep it in place, are hexagonal.
The diameter of the base is 6.7m and the circumference is 20.7m. The walls at the base are 1.8m thick, gradually decreasing in size to 1.2m thick at the top.
The structure was heightened by 3.6m in 1832 using Kingston stone.
The total height of the stonework today is 19.5m the height from the stonework to vane
is 5.5m and the overall height from ground to the vane of the lantern is 25m.

The first light was a fixed white lamp that burned sperm whale oil.
When the tower was raised in 1832, an improved white light was also installed and, after 1863,
coal oil was used instead of sperm whale oil (about 900 gallons of oil were burned annually).

In 1878, a new white revolving light was installed.
This was one of the best and most powerful in North American waters.
The light revolved once every minute and 48 seconds.
The power to revolve the light itself was provided by simple and very efficient means.
A cable with a heavy weight on one end was wound around a drum every
14 hours by the lighthouse keeper.
The weight, travelling down a tower in the centre of the lighthouse, caused the cable
to unwind which, being geared to a shaft, revolved the light.
The light was projected by powerful reflectors.

Also in 1878, the balcony around the lamp room, which was originally built with wood,
was reconstructed using iron.
This proved to be a very wise measure because the following year, the weather vane was
reportedly struck by lightning which travelled down the walls, cleaning off all the
whitewash and damaging the steps.

In the winter of 1916-1917, the first electric light appeared.
This was a fixed white light which flashed on and off. It had powerful reflectors and
covered an angle of 240 degrees or more. In the spring of 1945, the present light
was installed. A fixed green light is in use to distinguish it from the mass
of white light emanating from the Island and the city beyond.

On May 23rd, 1958, the lighthouse was transferred to The Municipality of Metropolitan
Toronto's Parks Department and was renovated during the Winter Works
Incentive Program in 1961-1962.
On January 1, 1998, Metro and the six municipalities within it were
amalgamated into the new City of Toronto.



-----------------------------------------------------

The mystery of Gibraltar Point Lighthouse

Like most other historical buildings, the lighthouse has had its days of tragedy giving rise
to tales of the macabre.
Such a day was January 2nd, 1815. On this day, the lighthouse keeper, Radan Muller,
died in circumstances which have left forever two
unanswered questions: How did he die? and by whose hands?

Time has drawn its mantle over this period and we are left with but few facts and more supposition.
The facts are these: The York Gazette of January 14th, 1815, printed the following obituary column:

"Died on the evening of the 2nd of January, J.P. Radan Muller, keeper of the lighthouse on Gibraltar Point.
From circumstances there is moral proof of his having been murdered. If the horrid crime admits
of aggravation when the inoffensive and benevolent character of the unfortunate
sufferer are considered, his murder will be pronounced most barbarous and inhuman.
The parties lost with him are the proposed perpetrators and are in prison".
On April 15th, 1815, the York Gazette printed the following:

"No conviction of the supposed murderers of the late J.P. Radan Muller.
The following is an extract from J.Ross Robertson's "Landmark Of Toronto":

"But Mr. George Durnan, the lighthouse keeper, states that he heard the story from his father
and that he, his son, with his uncle,
Joe Durnan, found in 1893, bits of a coffin and parts of the jaw bone of a man,
1m beneath the sand and about 150m west of the present keeper's house."
It was always claimed that Muller was buried west of the lighthouse near the lagoon
at the base of the south side of Blockhouse Bay and, in order to certify the story,
Mr. Durnan undertook a search and discovered the buried remains.

The usual tale told is that Muller was murdered by either two or three soldiers from the Fort at York.
They evidently called on him late in the evening and asked him to produce his beer keg.
This he did, but when he saw his friends were having more than was good for them,
he refused a further supply.
The refusal ended in a fight and the fight ended in the death of Muller.

This tale has been further garnished by others who say that Muller was a smuggler
who brought whiskey from the United States.
There is no record to be found of a court martial or trial for this crime ever having been held,
so we are left then with the two extracts from the York Gazette.
The editor seems certain that Muller was murdered, but his description of
Muller's character is hardly that of a whiskey smuggler.
The second extract from the York Gazette seems to indicate that there was a trial held
and the prisoners were released but, as was pointed out before, there are no
records in existence of such a trial ever being held.

----------------------------

Lightkeepers

J.P. Radan Muller 1809-1815
William Halloway 1816-1831
James Durnan 1832-1853
George Durnan 1853-1908
Captain P.J. McSherry 1905-1912
B. Matthews 1912-1917
G.F. Eaton 1917-1918
F.C. Allan 1918-1944
Mrs. Ladder 1944-1955
Mrs. Dodds 1955-1958

36608